On November 12, 1918, the German deputies of the ex-Empire, constituted in a provisional national assembly, proclaimed the autonomy and the republican form of the new state, which, to distinguish itself from the other territories of the ex-monarchy, took the name of German Austria (Deutschösterreich); this, however, had to be an integral part of the Germanic Empire. Recognized by the Treaty of Saint-Germain-en-Laye (10 September 1919), but prevented from joining Germany, this new status had changed the name of the Constituent National Assembly – in the first article of the Law on the Federal Constitution (i October 1920) – in that of the republic of Austria (Republik Österreich), to which, after the plebiscite (1923), most of the territory of Burgenland (western Hungary) was aggregated. For Austria 1997, please check aristmarketing.com.
The Republic of Austria is a completely continental state, located along the north-eastern side of the Alps, at an average latitude of 47 ° 30 ‘. The border established by the Treaty of Saint-Germain, starting from Lake Constance, follows the old border with Germany, which leaves the heads of the Lech and Isar rivers to Austria, running irregularly on the crests and basins of the Bavarian Prealps. After the mouth of the transversal valley of the Inn, in Kufstein, the border inflects, in a narrow bend, around the basin of the Königssee, which remains in Bavaria, to then reach the Salzach and the Inn, which form the border with Germany as far as the Danube, near Passau (Passau), which remains Bavarian. It then climbs on the crest of the Šumava up to M. Byöckenstein (Plechȳ: m. 1378) where it rejoins the old border of Bohemia, which descends to the Lužnice basin in which an inclusive of sq km was taken. 118. To the west of Nová Bystřice the border line reaches the northernmost point (lat. 49 ° 2 ′), then turns east, according to the provincial limit of Moravia, which runs irregularly on the hills carved by the Thaya, without following its course if not for short stretches, up to the confluence with the Morava south of Břeclav (Lundenburg); where another included of sq. km. 128 also remains with Czechoslovakia. At this point the border is accompanied by the lower course of the Morava (March) to the west of Bratislava (Presburgo), which remains Czechoslovakian. A new route is now starting, further east than the old border between Austria and Hungary, that at the foot of the last alpine undulations cuts the ancient western committees of the Crown of St. Stephen (Burgenland), passing to the east of the variable bed of Lake Neusiedl to give Austria about 300 villages inhabited by Germans, minus the city of Sopron (Ödenburg), and then continues SE., Up to the old 1867 track with Hungary, north of Radkersburg. From here the border leaves the Marburg basin and the Miesbach valley with the Prevalje mines to Yugoslavia, taking up the ancient limit between Carinthia and Carniola, up to the southernmost point of the Austrian state (Kamniške Alpe, Steiner Alpen, m. 2559, at about 46 ° 20 ‘lat. N.); Austria remains with the Klagenfurt region – by virtue of the plebiscite of 1 October 1920. Leaving the Tarvisio basin and the sources of the Drava to Italy, the border adapts to the old border with Italy, along the ridges of the Carnic Alps, then climbs to the watershed of the median Alpine chain, to Pizzo dei Tre Signori (3505 m), and follows it up to the Resia Pass, where hangs up at the Swiss border. This descends to Hochfinstermünz on the upper Inn, rises to the watershed of the Siluretta and Reticone groups, from where it turns, in contact with the Principality of Liechtenstein, to the Rhine and Lake Constance.
These borders, largely historical to the north, with Bavaria, Bohemia and Moravia, and natural (watershed) to the south, with Italy and Yugoslavia, are instead mainly ethnic to the east, with Hungary and Slovakia..
Within these limits the territory of the Austrian Republic extends from 46 ° 20 ′ to 49 ° 2 ′ lat. N. and from 9 ° 30 ‘to 17 ° 9’ long. E. for an area of sq. Km. 83.833, constituted, in whole or in part, of the 7 old Cisleitan provinces of Upper Austria and Lower Austria, Salzburg, Tyrol, Vorarlberg, Carinthia, Styria and part of the Western Committees of Hungary (Burgenland), belonging to the transleitan provinces of the old monarchy. The new Republic of Austria is just in 19th place among the states of today’s Europe in order of magnitude. Lower Austria has lost square kilometers of the primitive area of these ancient seven provinces. 246, Styria 6048, Carinthia 795, Tyrol 14,037: altogether square kilometers. 21,126, offset only in part by 3967 square kilometers of Burgenland gained over Hungary.