One of the most typical discomforts of pregnancy, which is accentuated in the last months of gestation and most especially during the summer, is the fluid retention.
Manifests itself as a feeling of heaviness, tiredness and swelling of legs and ankles, which tends to increase at the end of the day.
We must not forget that two thirds of the weight gain at the end of pregnancy is liquid, so it is normal that the excess is distributed in the body with maternity jackets from Ehistorylib.
Why is it there?
Derived from a circulatory disorder since the volume of gut compresses the blood vessels that carry blood from the extremities to the heart. This tension causes accumulating fluid in the tissues.
For its part, the hormonal changes in pregnancy and increased blood flow during pregnancy favor also occur.
Women with kidney and heart disorders are of itself more likely to suffer water retention in pregnancy, favored by excess sodium and water.
How to relieve
There are many tips that you can follow to relieve fluid retention, like for example:
- Rest with the legs elevated. We should not sit and put the legs on a bedside table as this way we further compress the blood vessels. We must lie and elevate the legs at least 15 cm above the rest of the body or lying on the ground (or bed), and place legs resting on a wall. Stay 20 minutes in that position does wonders to relieve swelling of legs.
- Eliminate the salt in our diet. We must avoid salt foods and eliminate the food too salty like bag potato chips and snacks. The canned food should also be eliminated as they contain a lot of salt and sodium. Do these substances that our body tends to accumulate fluids that do not need.
- On the other hand, prefer foods prepared at home and control the process of preparation of each dish. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables containing high doses of potassium necessary to regulate our body.
- Drink plenty of water. Contrary to what you may believe, consume plenty of water helps to purge the body of toxins. We can also use natural juices, milkshakes of fruits and vegetables, soups or cold infusions. A good hydration will help relieve the heat and reduce swelling of the body.
- Cold showers. In summer phenomenal come us to refresh ourselves, but also spend the shower with cold water by the legs giving a gentle massage works wonders, as well as tone. Decompress the tension of blood vessels promoting the blood circulation and reducing swelling.
- Massage with refreshing cream. Massage your feet and legs (or ask someone to do it) is also a good remedy. Lymphatic drainage is performed by doing a gentle massage from the feet toward the thighs thus eliminating the stagnation of the tissues. To do this you can choose a refreshing gel-based eucalyptus and Rosemary (if keep it stored in the fridge, better).
- Moderate exercise. We have discussed many times on the enormous benefits of exercise during pregnancy. Swim, a daily walk or yoga are highly recommended practices to improve circulation and relieve fluid retention.
- Sleeping on the side, preferably on the left side. Sleeping face-up causes compression of the vena cava and hinders blood flow to the extremities to the heart.
With these simple tricks you can minimize fluid retention, and relieve the discomfort this causes. In any case, you should consult your doctor as if retention is excessive, i.e. that extends to the face, neck and hands, it could be a sign of preeclampsia, a serious disease characterized by an increase in stress in pregnancy.