Around 30% of the women suffer from sciatica during pregnancy. It is a pain in the lower part of the back that, in the majority of cases, appears from the second trimester of pregnancy and persists during the third.
Sciatica occurs when the inflamed sciatic nerve, nerve long and wide body. It starts in the pelvis, continues through the back of the thighs and branches off behind the knees to toes with pregnant pants from Softwareleverage.org.
What is sciatica?
There are several factors that occur in pregnancy that the woman is suffering from sciatica, intense and quite annoying pain in the lumbar area. It is a very characteristic pain. It tends to cause pain referred to the leg, since it starts in the lower part of the back and extends from the back of the leg to the foot.
Sometimes it feels like a puncture under the waist or in the upper part of the buttocks. You can give the feeling of weakness, numbness of the leg or tingling, as if it were asleep.
The sciatic nerve is a nerve that is especially vulnerable to pressure. Why overload weight that occurs during pregnancy causes pain in the nerve. As the uterus grows, the spinal nerves that feed the sciatic nerve in the lower back are compressed and irritate.
Hormones are also responsible to appear sciatica in pregnancy. There are women who begin to suffer even from the first few weeks. It is that during pregnancy, the woman’s body secretes a hormone called relaxin, which helps soften the pubic area and the matrix to facilitate the departure of the baby through the birth canal. This relaxation of the muscles in the area relax ligaments causing pain.
How to fight sciatica in pregnancy
- Moderate exercise: we have reviewed thousands of times the benefits of physical activity, moderate during pregnancy. Practices such as walking, swimming or yoga help strengthen muscles preventing the relaxation of the abdominal muscles and the sedentary lifestyle. Both are factors that increase the risk of pain appearing or persist for a longer time.
- Control the weight in pregnancy: excessive weight gain causes a higher compression of the sciatic nerve.
- Massages and osteopathy: both techniques help to relieve pain and tension in the area due to relaxation and stretching techniques.
- Postural changes: a few bad postural habits contribute to pain appears, that must take into account some changes to prevent this. For example: avoid sitting for periods of time, not to cross the legs to sit, Crouch always bending your knees, keep your back straight and walk upright.
- Wear proper shoes: it is not good that the shoe is entirely flat or have too much heel. The fair measure is between 3 and 5 cm.
- Sleep you can put a pillow between your legs to relieve pain if you sleep on side or place a pillow under your legs if you sleep mouth above.
- When pain appears, place dry heat in the area several times a day.
We hope that these tips will be useful for fight the pain of sciatica in pregnancy, a nuisance that is typical of the period of gestation that usually disappear spontaneously after birth.
However, if the pain is too intense we recommend that you check with your doctor who will assess the appropriateness of prescribing any treatment.